Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Where Have I Been?

You may be wondering...

or maybe you're not.

Either way, it's good to be writing again.

So since my last post, Summer has ended. And we decided to mark the occasion with a trip to an amazing place called Castleton Gardens. It is one of Jamaica's best kept secrets. Just a half hour drive north of Kingston, Castleton is one of the oldest botanic gardens in the Caribbean. It follows the Wag Water River which you can swim in. It was a perfect Saturday afternoon. See...





September greeted us with back to school activities. Both Shine and I have returned to the classroom full time. We found a lovely "homeschool" school right on our street. One of our neighbors started a school in her house. Actually, she began by homeschooling her own two (now adult) children. Soon her friends and relatives were asking her to teach their children and then suddenly she is converting her garage into a classroom. The experience so far has been amazing. Shine has actually uttered the words, "I love school" and "I'm happy". Of course, I'm over the moon that we found such an amazing place and it's RIGHT NEXT DOOR!

As for me: I am now a full time art teacher in one of the island's most beloved high schools. It has been an adjustment to say the least. As I've written about before, the education system here is very different from the U.S. so I have had to learn very quickly a number of very rigid syllabi as well as adjust my teaching style to teenagers plus acclimate to the demands of a full time work schedule and being a mom and a working artist. It has not been without its challenges, but so far I'd say that we are all adjusting well. 

Oh, and I get to play field hockey! For those of you who don't know, I was crazy about hockey in Jr and Sr High School. I even considered playing in college (until I realized they practiced at 6am). I'm helping to coach the junior team at my school. It's been fun to be back on the field. I have a lot of really fond memories from then.

Song is super busy being almost 2. She is into everything! And while her busy-ness can be exhausting, she is just so funny that you find yourself laughing at her antics (well, most of the time...).

Mo is about to take his licensing exam. Fingers and toes crossed that it is smooth sailing. We have also been working together to design a line of furniture...because we aren't busy enough. Actually, we need to outfit our apartment and we thought, hey, we went to art school, let's see what we can come up with. We are really excited about our concepts and we will hopefully have prototypes on view next month (read as: a table and a couch in our living space next month...)

That is the update for now. There is a lot more that happened, some happy, some sad and some just plain scary. I will write about all of it soon.

Until then,
Peace and Wellness,
Rae


1 comment:

Erik Weese said...

Its wonderful to read your writing again. I look forward to more of your adventures.