Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Life is Change


Welcome to the Fabulous Hybrid Blog Carnival. Our topic this spring is Change! This post was written for inclusion in the quarterly Blog Carnival hosted by The Fabulous Mama Chronicles and Hybrid Rasta Mama. This month our participants reflect on change in all of its many forms.
Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

****** 
It is only change that is at work here.~ I Ching 

Over the last 22 months, my family has experienced considerable change. This whole blog, in fact, was started to document the changes we were making by relocating our family from Brooklyn, New York to Kingston, Jamaica. Our journey has been much more than just a change in address, however.

We have undergone significant transformations in all aspects of our lives. Some of the larger changes include: Reawakening our Spiritual practice; deepening our commitment to our marriage and our family; expanding our careers; making our health a priority.

We have also made some small changes such as: starting a container garden on our balcony; rethinking the children's bedtime routine; making Friday night our family night; saving for a rainy day; being conscious of the words we use (promoting a culture of positivity); transitioning to a vegan diet.

So, what have been the results of all this change? While there have been ups and downs in all the areas I mentioned above, the overwhelming results to these changes have been positive. When I look back just one year ago and compare it to now, we have improved our quality of life ten fold. And when I take a moment to reflect on our life in Brooklyn and compare it to our island life, I can't believe we are the same people! As I have written a number of times before, we were a family of desperate and broken people looking for a way to rebuild ourselves and heal. It took us a number of years to come to the realization that our life in Brooklyn was both unhealthy and unsustainable. It was scary to put all of our possessions on a boat, say good bye to our friends and loved ones and start over again from scratch. But once you accept the fact that Life is Change, the fear goes away and the possibilities begin to multiple.

========== 

Energy is neither created nor destroyed; it can only be changed from one form to another. ~Einstein

I find a lot of comfort in this quote by Albert Einstein. It helps to assuage the fear that comes with having to confront change. It has been a mantra of mine recently as I have been grieving my father's death, and it helps me to think of him as vapors riding the cosmos and swirling with the clouds above.

It also reminds me that when change happens, I will still be me no matter what...but I could become a better me, a happier me, a more enlightened me, a more patient me, a more forgiving me if I allow the change to occur. Fighting against change is painful, fruitless and frustrating. It is going to happen anyway, follow it and see where it takes you. You will be happy you did.

Until soon...
Peace and Wellness,
Rae



 Visit Hybrid Rasta Mama and the Fabulous Mama Chronicles to find out how you can participate in the next Fabulous Hybrid Carnival!
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants. It will be updated by 3:00pm PST on Monday. April 30th:

    8 comments:

    Mandy @ Living Peacefully with Children said...

    Life is Change. Most definitely.

    Destany Fenton said...

    What a beautiful story - and a lovely sentiment!

    Destany Fenton said...

    What a beautiful story - and a lovely sentiment!

    brooklyn said...

    so beautiful... I'm so happy for you guys. :) doesn't seem like Mike & I will have the time or the funds to make it down there to see ya'll this summer, but hopefully sometime soon! lots of love, light & smiles to you all. :*)

    brooklyn said...

    beautifully written. I'm so happy for you guys. speaking of change, unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're gonna make it down there this summer. :( I hope to make it down to see you sometime soon, however! :) Our journey begins in about a week! Lots of love, light & smiles to you all,
    Brooke :*)

    Hybrid Rasta Mama said...

    I have followed your journey in life since you basically started your blog. Of all the blogs I read, yours is the one that has a way of impacting me without me really being aware of it. You are the definition of change and evolution. You are the definition of “flowing with life.” Even though it may not seem like it, the way you face each challenge, each pebble in your path, is really very beautiful.

    You have inspired me so often. Sometimes I find myself frustrated or trying to go against the grain of change and one of your posts pop into my head. You have dealt with so much and are so strong, so centered, and really very happy. I admire and respect all of the work you have done on yourself to be at the place you are today!

    Thanks for the wonderful post and for participating in our first Carnival!

    melissa v. said...

    Wow, what a radical and inspirational change you have created in your lives during this past year! And beautiful results.
    We hope to make a radical relocation move at some point in the next few years, too; I hope it will be as positive as it has been for your family.
    I love the quote from Einstein, and your interpretation of it in your own life, too. You are very inspiring. Thank you! =)

    Rae said...

    thank you all for your support. jennifer, i really needed to hear that...thank you so much for your kind words. i look forward to connecting more with all of you...