Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bird by Bird

When I was in college, I took a creative writing class where I was required to read Anne Lamott's book, "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life". I was immediately taken with Lamott's writing. Honest, poignant and eloquent, her directives for both writing and life are profound for their simplicity.

"Bird by Bird" has become something of a mantra for me...reminding me to place one foot in front of the other in a cadence of one step at a time. You cannot rush, jump, bulldoze, plow or race your way through this journey. It must unfold moment by moment, bird by bird.

So it is with the settling in of our home. Since our move in August, we have been living among stacks and piles, boxes and suitcases. Although I wrote about feeling "at home" in our new place, there was still some lingering feelings of transience compounded by the fact that all of our personal affects were boxed away, sights unseen. Part of my dis-ease at being gone for two months stemmed from this unsettled feeling. And part of the anxiety of returning was couched in the question, "What am I returning to?"

Much of the past six months have been clouded with uncertainty and self doubt. All areas of family, job, health and love have been affected. Have I made the right decisions for my children? Am I in the right career? Am I supporting my parents enough? Will my dad recover?

This New Year has already brought us many blessings. Upon our return to Kingston, we have fallen easily into a rhythm. We have been greeted with open arms from those we had left. The children are right back to basking in the warm sunshine and delighting in the fresh food. Mo has gained some esteem with his career. I am back to teaching, creating, cooking, learning. And our home is starting to feel like a real home...box by unpacked box...bird by bird...



Shine and Song's new room. Designed, painted and built by Mo and I.



No comments: