Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Home is Where You Hang Your Hammock


I have been reflecting on the idea of Place and Home as I prepare to make a trip back to the United States to visit my family for two months. This post is part of a series of my thoughts on what it means to be part of a family, a community, a home...
================================================================

Way back in 1998, I went on a study abroad trip to San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas, Mexico. The trip was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It changed me in so many wonderful ways. I returned to my home (which was upstate New York at the time) with rich memories, wonderful insights and a plethora of handmade gifts to share. One of the things I brought back for myself was a handwoven hammock I bought in the coastal town of Merida in the Yucatan. It is one of my three most cherished possessions.

Since my return from Mexico, I have been searching for a place to hang my beloved hammock. I have had many homes in the last 13 years but all of them have seemed temporary and none of them had a suitable place for my hammock. At some point, I just gave up finding a home and shoved the hammock deep into a box of other memorabilia. I felt destined to be a nomad.

When we first moved to Kingston, we rented a furnished apartment that was much too small for us. It also had  furniture that did not reflect our taste or our meet our needs. It was not our space and we all felt transient. Our new apartment however, was made for us. From the first moment I walked into the space, I knew we would be moving into it. Even the landlady commented, "The space was just waiting for you." Then in the frantic days leading up to our move, Mo came home from hauling boxes to the new space and collapsed into the bed mumbling something to the effect of, "Good news!" and "Beams" and other architectural stuff. Then, "You can hang up your hammock." Even in my semi comatose dream state, it resonated...I would finally, after 13 years of searching, be going home...





1 comment:

Melanie Rinn Martinek said...

I would LOVE to see you when you are back in the US! Maybe over Thanksgiving weekend in you are in "Muncylvania" !!