Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cornmeal Porridge

*Update*
When I originally wrote this post, we had just moved into a new apartment. We waited at least a week for our stove and refrigerator to be delivered. Then we waited another 2 weeks for them to come hook up the stove. We were given a microwave oven as courtesy gift from the department store where we bought the stove and fridge so that became our main stay for any sort of "hot" food for the first month or two. I'm not really into microwave cooking and I actually try to avoid them at all costs. Ours will soon be sold as it is just something to store the bananas on, really.

I still make cornmeal porridge (a lot). My kids love it and it is quintessentially Jamaican. The recipe remains the same as below, but I cook it on the stove top and I find that I need to add about a cup of water. I also increase the raw sugar to about 1/4 cup or I substitute it for honey or agave nectar. Enjoy!

===============

It's recipe time! A staple breakfast item here is cornmeal porridge (call it the oatmeal of Jamaica). It is also known as the food of the people because cornmeal is super cheap and super filling. (As heard in the second verse of Bob Marley's song, "No Woman, No Cry".) It has become one of Shine's favorites so we have been eating it every morning. Lately, I've been making individual servings in the microwave.

Microwave safe bowl
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp raw sugar
1 Tsp all spice

Mix cornmeal, sugar and all spice in bowl. Add coconut milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on high for another minute. Stir and Serve.

The sign of a good Jamaican cook is creamy cornmeal porridge with no lumps. I have a long way to go in this regard because mine is always lumpy. You can make this on a conventional stove top and it is much easier to get a creamy, lump free porridge because you can constantly stir it while it thickens. If you make it on the stove, just keep the ratio of 1 cornmeal to 2 milk/water and sweeten to your liking. Enjoy!




No comments: