Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Friday, August 19, 2011

At the End of the Day

This summer began with a lot of great expectations. Opportunities seemed to be around every corner...opportunities that would permit us to travel, advance our careers, permit us time to spend together as a family, build community, secure our finances, expand and grow. But as is the nature of life, things change...

We had a number of set backs. Jobs, that Mo and I thought we had, disappeared at the last minute and squashed any plans of sending the kids to summer camp or retreating to the mountains for a long family weekend. Our decision to move to a new apartment complicated some already fragile family relationships and strained an already pinched budget. Health emergencies arose with family and friends both here and abroad. Mo actually collapsed from exhaustion and spent a night in the hospital. So, the last couple of weeks have been stressful to say the least.

In the thick of it, I mourned the loss of all I had hoped our summer would be. I cried for everything I didn't have or was taken away from me. I felt like we had lost all the ground we had gained when we moved here and that we were again taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. I realize now how selfish I was being. It's just that Mo and I have been struggling for years and we just want a break...some breathing room...

Life is hard. There are challenges. And when one obstacle is overcome, there is another waiting around the corner. I can't get caught up in what is missing from my life...because when I look around, I see that my life is overflowing with so much. At the end of the day, I sit down with my family to enjoy a simple meal and a gorgeous sunset and I know how truly blessed I am. I give Thee thanks with a full heart...

Namaste,
Rae

Sunset from our balcony

2 comments:

Heather said...

I wish we were neighbors... Hugs.

Rae said...

that would be nice.