Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Monday, April 11, 2011

When Life gets Scary...

...I head for the yoga mat. Yoga has gotten me through some of the worst times. On the mat, the external world falls away and it is just me and my breath. I focus all my energy on my inhale and exhale...because that is how you have to move through the rough patch...one breath at a time. I move through the asanas, hang out on my head for a bit, sit quietly in the stillness...

It helps me to remember that life is flow and that "this too shall pass".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My immediate quality of life has improved with our move. We are putting things in place and moving in a positive direction which I am eternally grateful for. But when I look beyond our gate to the rest of the World, I can't help but feel like things are unraveling. Earthquakes, wars, radiation, hydrofracking, climate change, cancer...it's overwhelming and I wonder if "this too shall (really) pass"? And if we can get through these global crises what will be left?

I was feeling very rattled about the state of things this past weekend. My head was swirling with anxieties and so I grabbed my mat and went to a Sunday morning yoga class focusing on the Chakras. Chakra means "wheel" in Sanskrit and there are thousands of Chakras thoughout the body, however there are 7 main Chakras that are located along the spine. These whirling energy points move energy from one part of the body to another. They can become clogged or stuck and the result is illness, low self esteem, anxiety, restlessness etc. Through yoga, meditation, acupuncture and healthy eating the Chakras can remain clear and therefore the flow of energy throughout your body can remain unobstructed.

I feel like the World's Chakras are clogged. Collectively, we have forgotten that we are "Spiritual beings having a Human experience"...that our time here is brief. So why argue, why war, why greed, why hate, why destroy, why cry, why shout...?

Why not, dance, laugh, share, sing, pray, create, love, praise...?

2 comments:

rududu said...

Really enjoyed this post. It made me think of a spiritual practice that the Desert Fathers developed in the Orthodox Church called Hesychasm: http://web.archive.org/web/20051029185307/http://kat.gr/kat/history/Txt/Rl/Hesychasm.htm

Rae said...

very interesting...it just proves how interconnected we all are...and how much the collective unconscious is at work...yoga is just another way to pray and connect with the Divine...