Title

Ital (eye'-tal): of or from the earth; vital; life giving; natural.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Going Green?


I love bananas. LOVE them. I will eat two, possibly three in a day. Banana bread? Yum. Banana pancakes? Double yum.

But the bananas that I'm talking about are the ripe ones...you know, the yellow ones....the "banana" ones.

So, let me introduce you to the other banana...the green ones...

Here, as in many tropical places, green bananas are eaten. They are another starch added to the mix. It is customary to eat the green bananas boiled with the other Food. I admit to finding the boiled banana well, repulsive, to be polite. It is the one Jamaican staple that I just don't like. First, green bananas are bland. Boiling does not add any kind of flavor to the blandness. In fact, boiling the bananas turn them this strange pink color and makes them wrinkly and well, you can use your imagination...

Okay, so I needed to come up with a way of cooking green bananas to make them appealing because we were given a plethora of them the last time we visited Mo's parents. I started thinking about Fried Green Tomatoes. (The food...and the movie...I love that movie!) Now I cannot take full credit for this recipe as Mom-in-law made something similar with green plantains...so I credit her for the following:

Fried Green Bananas

4-5 green bananas
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 green bell pepper
1 scotch bonnet pepper
seasoning (I used a commercial "meat" season mix, basically a mix of italian herbs and salt)
olive oil

Peel and slice the bananas lengthwise. Place in a shallow bowl or plate and shake seasonings over them, turning to get the back as well. Chop other ingredients (taking care with the scotch bonnet...you may not want to chop the entire pepper...two or three pieces will be enough to add a nice spice to the bananas.) Heat some olive oil in a skillet and add the onion, garlic and peppers. Saute until soft. Add the bananas. Saute 8-10 minutes until they turn a nice golden yellow. (Yes, they turn yellow!!) Serve them up. Yum!

I'm learning that in some places they make green banana fries and green banana curry...the possibilities seem endless! I think I may have found my new favorite food!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm... actually sounds pretty yummy! I might have to try next time I see green bananas at Wegmans! -Brooke :)